Current challenges faced by farmers today
Human labor availability is a major challenge facing farmers around the world today.
- Rural populations are in steady decline worldwide
- The nature of farm work
- Seasonal (long hours when work is available, or nothing)
- Timely field applications are paramount to farm success
- Average farms size continues to grow larger
- Existing roadways will not allow for larger equipment size than exists today
- Human labor is expensive
Many factors have fueled the need to operate farm equipment without the requirement for a human operator to always be present within the cab. Mojow is developing an autonomous navigation kit for agricultural power units called EYEBOX™. Mojow’s focus is to utilize modern sensor systems and state-of-the-art computer vision techniques to enable autonomous operations within broad acre applications. Mojow’s first working prototype is a late model, 380 horsepower, front wheel assist tractor.
What does it take to automate a tractor?
Mojow’s autonomous navigation kit completes farm tasks without work stoppages:
- Perception - the ability to see or become aware of something through the senses.
- Guidance and navigation - the determination, at any given time:
- The vehicle's location
- The vehicle's velocity
- The desired path of travel from the vehicle's current location to a designated target
- Control - the manipulation of steering, propulsion, hydraulic remotes, etc. to achieve the desired results.